OTAHUHU (HOLY TRINITY) ANGLICAN CEMETERY MEMORIAL PARK
From the 1850’s Anglican and Catholic cemeteries have been attached to the two churches in Otahuhu. The Anglican Church dates from 1851 (with cemetery records from 1856 to 1989) and the Catholic, at the corner of Hutton and High Streets, from 1856 (with cemetery records from 1861 to 1982). Both these cemeteries include burials of Fencible settlers, those killed in the New Zealand wars of the 1860’s, and many other early settlers from the area.
During the nineteenth century there was an increasing need to recognise the burial needs of other denominations, as an example the first Presbyterian Church was built in Otahuhu in 1855. Thus, the 3 acre Otahuhu Public Cemetery was constituted on 7 July 1880, to the west of the 1 acre Anglican Cemetery at the corner of Church and Luke Streets. The Anglican Cemetery is now Holy Trinity Memorial Park. The first Trustees were John Gordon, Joseph Elmsley M.D., Andrew Mackenzie Donald, Thomas Stringer and George Hotham.
The Otahuhu Road Board administered the Public Cemetery from 1 August 1894 to 1912. By the 1890’s Anglicans and Catholics from the Otahuhu area were also being buried in the Public Cemetery, but unfortunately burial records date only from 7 February 1894. The Otahuhu Borough Council administered the Public Cemetery from 1912 to 1989 when it joined the new Auckland City. The Cemetery was closed in 1986. The Auckland City Council retains the records of those buried in the Public Cemetery.
Holy Trinity Memorial Park, Otahuhu (formerly Otahuhu Anglican Cemetery), is situated on the east side of Church Street, at the junction with Luke Street, Otahuhu. There is 1 Commonwealth burial of the 1914-1918 war and 2 of the 1939-1945 war here.